Instant gratification

My entry into the world of lomography and instant film photography happened in a round about way. I didn't grow up with a polaroid or know anyone who had one. There wasn't anyone to pass on their passion and knowledge to me. My entry into the world of instant film happened in my 30s, after I stumbled across an old Polaroid camera at an opp shop I worked out. I bought it for $4. The film cost a lot more, and of the 8 shots in the pack I wasted 2 discovering my camera didn't have a flash and only really worked where there was decent lighting. Anything lowlight wasn't worth photographing, but the few photos I did get I loved. 


 Self portrait with embroidery

Strawberry plant

Two portraits 

After that I ended up finding a second hand instax mini camera that blew out the white in every single shot. They weren't my favourite photos, but I had going out and taking random photos of whatever I felt like. The same year I had that camera my partner bought me a Lomography Automat Instant Camera. I was in love. I loved (almost) everything about it, but my favourite features have been the multiple exposures and the added lenses. The thing I didn't like was wasting film during the learning curve. I definitely took a lot of terrible photos in the early days, and some days still do. I do, however, love the randomness and unpredictablity of it. I love the experimental nature of different lenses and multiple exposures. I enjoy not knowing exactly how everythign will turn out, because for all the failures that occur, there are shots that come out so amazing, they make the failures worth it. 

Double exposure portrait

Double exposure portrait 

Brisbane City

Coolum Beach, double exposure

Coolum Beach, long exposure

Brisbane City

Brisbane City, double exposure

 Brisbane City

Comments

Popular Posts