For the love of Black and White #1

I love black and white photography. There is a timeless, classical element about it that makes it so beautiful. It doesn't favour midtones that well, and it loves contrast. 

For me, at least, it hasn't been easy to get right, and I have to take a step back and think about what I'm photographing when I'm shooting black and white. Is there enough contrast between colours, highlights, lowlights and shadows? Will the subject or scene translate well from colour to black and white? Is there enough light? Is there too much light? They're all questions I need to ask myself in the split second before I shoot. Sometimes I ask. Sometimes I don't. Sometimes the best photos are the ones you aren't sure are going to work out, but you take the chance anyway. And regardless of whether or not they work out, it's always a learning experience.  

My portfolio of black and white isn't that big, but I'm working on it. 

Next Level Adventure Park, Maroochydore 
Yaroomba Beach    
Shadows, at Yaroomba Beach 
Fallen branch, Bradman Ave, Maroochydore 
Local park, Coolum Beach 
Top Left: Water, at Yaroomba. Top Right: Yaroomba Beach. 
Bottom Left: Clouds in my back yard. Bottom Right: Pandanas Tree, Yaroomba.


Comments

Popular Posts