Jumping into digital

I recently started an online photography course, mostly to help keep my sanity as a stay at home parent, but also to upgrade my skill set, challenge myself, and maybe use it for more than random street photography around where I am. I don't venture as far and wide as I would like to, and most of my street photography is taken in daylight hours, which does limit me creatively. 

Disclaimer: I'm not a big fan of digital photography (with the expection of low-fi cameras like the Fuji Mini Evo). So it is kind of funny that I purchased a decent digital camera (a Canon EOS 200Dii for anyone that cares). I however am aware that both digital and film allow me to do different things, and grow technically and creatively in different ways, so why wouldn't I want to have all the tools as part of my skill set? I have no good answer as to why I shouldn't jump into digital photography. 

Basically I just need to stop being an art snob. 

For my course I've decided to exclusively use my digital camera, because it offers me a quicker way to understanding the technicalities of photography than using a film camera would (and I need to get over my digital aversion).

As an ametuer photographer, I appreciate not having to learn everything the hard and expensive way. As much as I love film, I've only ever shot it for fun, without worrying too much about film wastage or bad shots, because I genuinely just love going out and taking photos. If they turn out good then yay, if not, I probably learnt an expensive lesson, very much like the time I shot a 100 ISO roll of film at a concert in low light, with no flash. 

While trying to take some photos for an assigment today I decided to just use my camera like I usually would when I'm out with film. These are the best of what I shot today, using a 50mm lens. It was definitely a learning curve, and autofocus was 100% not my friend, so everything was done manually. 

What I love most about these photos is the colour, especially the sky, it's just so amazingly blue. 

 













Comments

Popular Posts